Wednesday 8 April 2009

Social Bookmarking - A few first thoughts

I have not used social bookmarking before. However I am at the start of a new project in a new job. I would like to get some publishing out of this project in the longer term and so think this may be a good time to try this with the rest of the project team. So the first thing I do is google some of the ideas

Delicious – It seems this is okay for the individual but not for groups as it is too public and does not have a good group-level interaction around it. CiteULike is said to be used by academics for using and sharing papers, but I am not sure if this what we are after – it is not only papers it is software and websites that are useful…
Collaborative bookmarking & Collaborative tagging, both these bring up a range of comments from just tools to blogs on where to find them and what to use them for. Google “democratic folksonomy metadata generation” and you get a whole discussion about democracy and its values on the internet as a whole.

So while there are many definitions it is more difficult to find a straightforward and useful tool to start my project. Eventually I go for Citulike as it came up as top when I narrowed my Googling to education. I will set this up and invite some colleagues to see what they think. I may try to link it into some type of file share system that way other resources can be used. I will also join Delicious as see the differences and perhaps look at some file stores that are different from the usual ones.

I think looking through the websites there is a grey area between social bookmarking and social networking. There is a lot of talk about them being age and subject dependent. I could not find much about where things link into each other, so for example I want s picture from Flicker to link to an article on YouTube and an academic paper I have read and stored on Citulike. I guess I would sort them all on a file on ‘My Documents’ or put them in perhaps a Google group… Overall I becomes increasingly confusing as the filed becomes larger and I become more tired!

1 comment:

  1. Hello
    This is a hard one! Diigo has many fans in education although personally I find it a little unwieldy. I have liked the look of twine and have been trying to use it for collecting information on medical education. But I also have a diigo account, and a delicious one.
    http://www.twine.com/twine/120tdhfpt-64f/medical-education-undergraduate

    It's interesting that you say you are concerned about the work being public. Why is that?

    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete